Pageviews from the past week

Friday 6 April 2012

Chasing the Storm















On a drive to Buxton,
chasing the storm
I felt I was coming back to myself.
The jammed-in jigsaw pieces 
re-ordered,  
A piece of sky swapped
for a piece of sun.

The clouds were so low  
a slow pilgrimage of ghosts,
mantles trailing rain in their wake.

Amid the palette of unending greys
Atoll’s of colour dimmed and flared
Trees, cows and fields
in full HD.

Leaves lent the wind flesh
to dance tarantellas on the grass
and dervish-like
spun crisp bags dry.

I swerved
to avoid the remains of a rabbit
pulped and pulverised into wet Papier Mache'
spread along three white lines

A loved-out cuddly toy
bloodless and unzipped.


2 comments:

  1. I like this. :) Some very powerful images, and vivid use of language.

    I especially like the first stanza with the jigsaw puzzle metaphor. I think that's a wonderful way of describing a human experience that many people will recognise, and it puts it in a very accessible way that makes the reader feel identification.

    WH Auden once said that when you write a poem, you want people to think: "I've known that all along, but I never realised it before." I think your jigsaw puzzle metaphor does that beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I had your vivid imagination and vocabulary. Don't know how I missed reading this til now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.