Pageviews from the past week

Friday 5 December 2014

Yvonne

                                               

My heart came of age
One balmy sports day
When Yvonne won the hundred.
Her quiet perspiration made me sweat out loud.

I ached to touch her,
Not like my signed England cricket bat
Somewhere between my Princess Leia Poster
And our slate-grey Persian cat

Her buttocks rose like new proved dough
Held high with braided hair.
So thick and tight the
Gloss oozed out like blackberries
Wrung through muslin.

I never braved her orbit
But glimpsed her second hand
On the backs of spoons and polished floors,
In a finger-smudged brass escutcheon
Or the yawn of a classroom door

I the savant, she my time
Penning the need for her on every lesson.
Skirting conversations, like
An expectant father fielding questions,
Flies undone.

Years later
Tight with drink and starving
I found Yvonne shovelling chips to midnight bums,
Air thick with grease and chat-up lies.
Head bowed low,
Staring into boiling fat.

In the back room,
Pressed hard against a frosted pane
A young boy wore my face
With no appetite for pity

Wishing he was still at school

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.