Pageviews from the past week

Friday 14 March 2014

The Bright Eyes of Summer


Si-mon? Dad said, softly
and I knew, between the syllables
a life had gone

In the background
mums’ cries rose then fell
as grief dropped, then carried her off
again.

I listened, shock congealing
staring into the bright eyes of summer
supplanting my unsightly face with
a short business-like shower.
I gently lowered the receiver
like a stunned sparrow


I hit the front door head on, like a drunk
flung it open
sleep-running my way down some hostile lane
towards a Pub,
I forget its name.

The landlord poured me a dark brown drink
sighing, saying England were 223 for 7
I nodded  
thinking how Sam hated driving
and that freaks who gawped at car wrecks
wanted hanging

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.