Pageviews from the past week

Monday 27 February 2012

Cut Flowers


                                   



My lump, frozen and shaved like a white truffle
was shared out among surgeons’ with tumour envy
who stood in line
bragging that one encapsulated prize
would lead to another,
plus a full page spread in Oncology Monthly.

I ached to take it home
watch it shrivel.
Tease it with warm forbidden flesh
Give it the hope of cut flowers
Make it bloody suffer

Instead, I chose chemo,
took myself home
watched myself shrivel
teased myself with warm forbidden flesh
gave myself the hope of cut flowers
made myself suffer

They came in pairs  
asked if I’d seen Alien
joked about corrosive blood.
They said my lump was the lump formalin known as...
and performed sterilised high fives.
I rolled up my sleeves.

I made an effigy out of Blu Tack
and lanced it with cocktail sticks, leaving out the cheese
as the merest glimpse of a magazine fridge
made me heave.

Fatigue arrived like spring ants,
taking scraps of me away.
swarming when the Chemo stopped
and blood ran sweet again.

I heard my lump now resides in some lab rat
with tweaked DNA.
the cut flowers have gone,
replaced by pseudo-silken blooms
that fools all but the wisest bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.